As sellers, it is important to be constantly connected to your listing to stay as up-to-date as possible. With the Engel & Völkers Real Estate app, sellers are given this advantage by allowing them to receive instant notifications on offers and inquiries, keep in touch with their advisors, share their listings via text and social media, and many other helpful tools.Learn More
Preparing Your Home for Sale Checklist
Getting your home ready for a sale can be an intimidating process for new and experienced home sellers alike. To keep you organized with all that needs to be done, Engel & Völkers Savannah provides a checklist for preparing your home for sale. This checklist is a simple tool that makes sure you do not overlook any steps, so your home is in pristine condition for buyers.Download PDF Version
- Start with increasing your home’s curbside appeal by pulling weeds, planting flowers, trimming bushes, and replacing gutters.
- Touch up or repaint your walls as needed.
- Start making repairs such as fixing any electrical issues, replacing old screens, repairing any leaky faucets, etc.
- Be sure to clean the oven, stove tops, fireplaces, toilets, bathtubs, grout between tiles, windows, ceiling fans, furnace, and water heater.
- Thoroughly clean the garage and ensure the garage door is working properly.
- Pack away any clothes or shoes that you don’t need this season to make your closets look more spacious.
- Organize your home and rearrange your furniture to make it as decluttered as possible.
- Organize your pantry, refrigerator, and cabinets, and remove any extra plates and cups.
- Check that all cabinets are in good condition and don’t stick or squeak.
- Clean all hardwood floors and steam or replace any carpet that needs it.
- Before an open house, turn on all the lights and open all curtains to brighten everything up.
- Place diffusers or air fresheners to make your house smell pleasant to potential buyers.
- Remove all personal items including family photos and religious or political items.
- Remove any pets before the open house.
Home Selling 101 & Tips
No matter how many or how few homes you have sold in the past, it is always a good idea to go back to the basics and get a refresher about what goes into selling a home. Engel & Völkers provides sellers with a Home Selling 101 list that provides words of wisdom and tips for successfully getting your home on and off the market as smoothly as possible.Download PDF Version
- Price your home at its best listing price from the start instead of listing at its highest price and lowering it from there. This will decrease the amount time your home is on the market.
- Start making repairs and upgrades early on, so when buyers come to the open house they are seeing the best version of your home.
- Paint your walls neutral colors to make your home look more spacious and appealing to potential buyers.
- Consider hiring a professional cleaning service to get your home in its best shape.
- Be aware of the competition in your neighborhood and see how its condition and price compares to yours. Buyers are likely looking at these homes as well.
- Invite a friend or family member over to your house to evaluate your decor, organization, and furniture layouts. They may see something that a potential buyer may not like.
- Be flexible with your open house times to get as many showings as possible. Allow for early morning, late night, and weekend showings.
- Be an active part of the marketing process by sharing your listing extensively on social media or sharing it through email and text to people who may be looking to move.
- Respond promptly to all offers.